Thorne Research 5 Hydroxytryptophan
- Brand: Thorne Research
- Product Code: 5-hydroxytryptophan-THR
- Servings per Container: 90
- Quantity per Container: 90 Capsules
- 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is the intermediate metabolite produced when the body initiates the process of converting the essential amino acid L-tryptophan to serotonin. Serotonin levels in the body are associated with the regulation of sleep, mood, aggression, appetite, temperature, sexual behavior, and pain sensation.*
- Increases serotonin levels for sleep enhancement, decreased sugar cravings, and better stress management*
- Can be taken with meals without competing with other amino acids
- Includes vitamin b6 for optimal activity
- Made without flowing agents that can inhibit bioavailability
Supplementation with 5-HTP bypasses the conversion of L-tryptophan into 5-HTP by the enzyme tryptophan hydroxylase, the rate-limiting step in the synthesis of serotonin and a step that can be inhibited by a number of factors, including stress, insulin resistance, increasing age, and deficiencies of vitamin C, folate, and iron.
5-HTP is well absorbed when taken orally, with about 70 percent ending up in the bloodstream.* Intestinal absorption of 5-HTP does not require the presence of a transport molecule and is not affected by the presence of other amino acids; therefore, it may be taken with meals without reducing its usefulness.* 5-HTP easily crosses the blood-brain barrier and usefully increases central nervous system (CNS) synthesis of serotonin.*
5-HTP has been shown to have a beneficial impact on mood, discomfort associated with fatigue, sleep, and carbohydrate craving.* Numerous studies of individuals with negative mood status have shown significant positive response with 50-300mg of 5-HTP daily.*
Professional-grade products adhere to the strictest standards for purity and potency, and use the highest-grade ingredients available.
2 capsules contain:
Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxal 5'-phosphate) 6.8mg (400%)
Other Ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, hypromellose (derived from cellulose) capsule, leucine.
Contains NO: gluten.
Adults: Take 1 to 2 capsules 3 times per day or as recommended by a healthcare professional.
A woman who is pregnant, or who might become pregnant, should not use 5-hydroxytryptophan. 5-hydroxytryptophan is specifically contraindicated during pregnancy. Should be used with caution with prescription anti-depressants. Keep out of the reach of children.