The Kava plant is typically found in the South Pacific. Its root has been used as a medicine by people for hundreds of years. Typically, the roots are chewed or ground into a pulp. Kavalactones are the main active ingredients in the kava root and their ability to promote sleep and relaxation has been heavily studied. Kava's calming effect may help if you are experiencing anxiety, restlessness, sleeplessness, or such stress-related symptoms as muscle tension or spasm. Some people also use kava for pain.
Kava Kava Benefits
Liver damage has occurred with kava use so it's important to check with your primary care provider before taking Kava. It should not be given to children and should not be used consistently for extended periods of time.
Do not take kava kava with the following:
- Anti-anxiety agents
- Phenothizaine medications
- Any other medications metabolized by the liver (acetaminophen, ibuprofen)
- The kava root is typically chewed into a pulp
- Its calming effect may help with anxiety, restlessness or sleeplessness
- Kavalactones are the main active ingredients in the plant