As the cooler weather starts to arrive, we prepare ourselves for the cold and flu season.Â When you first start to notice symptoms, a dry or scratchy throat or a runny nose – natural cold remedies may help reduce your cold’s duration and severity.Â They may help you feel better, combat the virus, and boost your immune system to ward off future illnesses. Here is a list of our top 12 natural cold and flu remedies:
- Zinc: This essential mineral may help lessen the severity of cold symptoms
- Vitamin C: This perennial favorite may boost your body’s capacity to combat bacterial and viral infections and lessen cold symptoms
- Echinacea: This plant may boost immune systems and lessen the symptoms and duration of colds
- Elderberry: Â This berry may stop some influenza viruses in their tracks and help shorten the time you are sick
- Olive Leaf: This natural antiviral possesses leaves that are powerfully resistant to microbes
- Garlic: This herb’s antibacterial properties may boost your immune system and help with colds
- Probiotics:Â Supplementation with probiotics may help lower the duration of colds, fevers, and coughs
- Colostrum: The immune-building properties of this cow’s milk derivative may help protect mucus membranes in the throat and lungs
- Vitamin D: Low levels of vitamin D may increase your susceptibility to colds and healthy levels may shorten duration
- Astragalus:Â This herb may help stop the onset of upper respiratory infections or colds
- Colloidal Silver: This mineral’s antibacterial and antiviral benefits may help increase resistance to illness
- Goldenseal: This popular herbal remedy for colds may help suppress mucus
In addition to using these preventative supplements and remedies, read our post on 11 Ways to Prevent Getting a Cold or the FluÂ so you can hopefully prevent getting a cold or the flu!
There is no cure for the common cold but if you get one, you may be able to shorten one or stop one from taking hold with natural cold remedies. What’s your favorite natural cold and flu remedy?